Error message: "Failed to save target Content: Mismatch in Unique ID"
This message is mostly caused by the following problems in the source document:
Comments in Word documents, especially by multiple authors.
Delete all comments from the source document and put them back in again after translation.
Footnotes in Word documents that do not comply with the rules for footnotes, such as those containing automatic lists or paragraph marks.
Remove the offending footnotes from the source document and insert correct ones.
Once you have corrected the source document, you need to set up your Trados project again. Apply the translation memory that has already been filled.
Translating from TXT Format: The target text contains only the target language or the source and target languages are side by side
The "tab-delimited text file" format was probably selected instead of "plain text" when it was saved.
- Save the source file again with the right file type, and set up your project again.
- If that doesn't work either, save the source text in DOCX format and work on this document. You can then convert the target document back into a text document at the end.
Error message: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
This error message can be caused by a number of things. Try the following series of solutions:
- In SDL Trados Studio, reset the window layout: View ribbon > Reset Window Layout button.
- Close and reopen SDL Trados Studio.
- Restart your computer.
- Close SDL Trados Studio and, in Windows Explorer, go to the folder User\<user name>\AppData\ Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[XX.0.0.0].
Delete the following files.
Reopen SDL Trados Studio
N.B. This process will reset any user-specified settings (window positions, colours, text size, etc.).
- Close SDL Trados Studio.
In Windows Explorer, go to the folder <user name>\Documents\Studio 2014\Projects.
Delete the file projects.xml.
Reopen SDL Trados Studio.
N.B. All projects will have been removed from the list.
The project list contains a damaged project that stops SDL Trados Studio from opening
- Open Windows explorer.
- Go to the folder <user name>\My Documents\Studio2014\Projects.
- Delete the file projects.xml.
SDL Trados Studio should run now, but all the projects will have been removed from the project list.
The "Confirm and Translate until Next Fuzzy Match" function isn't working properly
If you have to set up your project again or if, for whatever reason, the target segments have to be filled in from the translation memory again, SDL Trados Studio has a function called "Confirm and Translate until Next Fuzzy Match" (riboon "Home" tab > "Segment Actions" group > dropdown menu under the "Confirm" button).
This function looks for matches in the translation memory. If a 100% match is found, then it will be inserted into the target segment, the segment will be confirmed, and the next segment will be opened. If no 100% match is found in the translation memory, then the cursor will stop.
Unfortunately, the function does not always work smoothly. There are two options to get around this:
From now on, all applied 100% matches and context matches will automatically be applied and confirmed.
If a lower Quality match is inserted, you will have to confirm it manually before moving on.
- Open SDL Trados Studio.
- On the "File" menu, click the "Options" button.
- In the "File" > "Options" dialogue, go to "Editor" > "Automation" in the menu.
- Select the "Apply best match after successful lookup" option.
- Select the "Confirm segment after applying an exact match" option.
- Click on "OK" to safe these new Settings.
- Open your document in SDL Trados Studio.
- Place the cursor in the first target segment.
- Confirm the first match applied.
After finalizing the Project, remember to go back to the "Options" dialogue and deactivate the "Confirm segment after applying an exact match" option again.
- Open your document in SDL Trados Studio.
- Open the "Home" tab of the ribbon, and click on the "Batch Tasks" button in the "File Actions" group.
- Select the "Pre-translate Files" option in the dropdown menu.
- Click on the "Next" button in the "Batch Processing" dialogue.
- In the menu, go to "Language Pairs" > "All Language Pairs" > "Translation Memory and Automated Translation".
- If not available, add the translation memory you would like to insert matches from.
- Tick the "Lookup" box for this translation memory.
- Go to "Language Pairs" > "All Language Pairs" > "Batch Processing" > "Pre-translate Files" in the menu.
- Set the "Minimum match value" to 100.
- Make sure the "Confirm 100% matches" and "Confirm context matches" options are selected.
- Under "When no match found", select "Leave target segment empty".
- Click the "Finish" button. The pre-translation will begin.
- When the pre-translation is complete, click on the "Close" button.
- Whn Trados asks whether you want to reopen the file, click on "Yes".
The document will be opened in the Editor with the pre-translated segments.